"No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize." - Julia Child

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday Wisdom: The right effort

Another weekly feature? Perhaps! I'm going to give this one a trial run as well and see how it goes. I think most people are like me: we LOVE pithy bits of advice and wisdom and collect quotes that are meaningful to us and our experience. I found this to be a particularly meaningful quote to me right now. I'm trying to be more aware of the connection among my body, mind, and spirit. More and more I realize that these are not disjointed entities but that they are interconnected and that it's vital we nourish them all in order to be a more complete, content person. This, I am learning, is easier said than done, but I am enjoying the journey. Enjoy!

*****

"Right effort is effort with wisdom. Because where there is wisdom, there is interest. The desire to know something is wisdom at work. Being mindful is not difficult. But it’s difficult to be continuously aware. For that you need right effort. But it does not require a great deal of energy. It’s relaxed perseverance in reminding yourself to be aware. When you are aware, wisdom unfolds naturally, and there is still more interest."

- Sayadaw U Tejaniya, "The Wise Investigator"

No comments: