"No matter what happens in the kitchen, never apologize." - Julia Child

Friday, August 14, 2009

101 Simple Summer Salads! plus a recipe I tried

Oh. My. GAWD. HOW did I forget to post this magnificent article?

101 Simple Salads for the Season

By (you guessed it) my boyfriend, Mark Bittman.

There is a salad for everyone on this list! Really! I printed it out and have a copy in my kitchen so that I can mix it up with my boxes of arugula.



And speaking of arugula, here is a delicious salad that I found in an issue of Glamour magazine earlier this summer that is easy and amazing.

Take 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar and allow it to simmer in a saucepan on low heat for a few minutes, stirring every now again, until it begins to thicken/reduce. Add 1 tablespoon of honey and stir together with vinegar until thoroughly blended. Mix up arugula, cubed watermelon, and crumbled feta cheese in dishes and top with a little of the balsamic-honey mix. You can add some olive oil too, or not, and just dig in. It's sweet, salty, peppery, and delicious!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I recently had an arugala salad at Estragon, a Spanish restaurant in the South End, and it was so good-- but unbelievably salty! The leaves were coated in sea salt. The first several bites were delicious, but I couldn't finish the thing, goat cheese or not.

But I still can't stop thinking about that salad!